Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The city that never sleeps

If you want adventure without a passport all you have to do is come to NYC. There is everything you could possibly need to get all of your senses going.

It was raining and cold when we got up today. Since it was not raining too hard we decided to go out and brave the weather. Yes, we Floridians decided today would be a great day to go into the city. We did layer up, we were each wearing about six shirts, two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, and a jacket or two. So we were prepared for anything the weather would throw our way.

After a five minute walk to the bus stop, we were lucky we didn’t have to wait long for the bus to NYC. The ride was just under an hour and dropped us off right at the Port Authority Bus Station on 8 Avenue. We walked the streets looking in shops on our way to the place where we would catch the bus tour we had scheduled online.

We decided the best way for us to see all NYC has to offer in a short amount of time, would be to do a tour. We decided to do the 72 hour hop-on hop-off tour in the double decker buses, which includes four separate tours of NYC.

When we got there we found out it would be best to go on the 6:00 pm bus which meant we had a couple of hours to kill, so we decided to head over to the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue, about ten blocks away.

Apple was amazing. The whole outside of the building above ground, including an elevator, is made of glass. The store is open twenty-four hours year round. Inside the store, which is below ground, there were tons of people, the place was packed on a weekday afternoon.

FA Schwartz was right next door so we had our picture taken with the doorman, dressed as a toy soldier. By then it was almost time for our tour so we headed back.

The tour was about two hours long, through Manhattan and Brooklyn. It was informative but it was hard to listen because the guide spoke nonstop and very quickly. Perhaps our next tour will be better. We had packed our afternoon snack so we ate it on the bus tour.

Afterwards we went to a Cuban restaurant for dinner, which we had seen earlier while walking around. We split a Cuban sandwich and it was very good, the pernil was delicious.

It was getting late so we headed back to the bus station. When we got there we realized we didn't know where to find our bus or where to go. There was a nice young man who helped us find our way and then asked us to spare a dollar. While trying to figure out our gate, we missed one bus and had to wait a whole hour for the next one. Oh well, a couple more days and we shall be experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment