Friday, May 29, 2009
Searching for FLW
After returning the movie to RedBox and buying a few groceries at the Shop and Stop, we headed out to see the next FLW house.
We drove about 15 minutes to the Wilson House in Millstone NJ. The owners have received an award for their recently completed renovations. The house was built in 1954 with concrete blocks and mahogany trim. It has a second story and this is rare in an Usonian house.
Then we drove about half an hour north to go see the Christie House in Bernardsville NJ. Built in 1940 it is the largest FLW house in NJ and is made of brick, cypress, and redwood.
Next we drove north about 40 minutes to go see the Richardson House in Glen Ridge NJ. Built in 1941, the house is made of brick and cypress and has 15 glass doors framing the living room. It sits at the end of a suburban cul-de-sac right in between regular suburban houses.
Then we drove northeast for an hour and a half to go see the Sander House in Stamford CT. It was built in 1952 into the side of rocky land. By then it was night time so we got to see the house lightly glowing in the night with its lights on.
Then we drove about 10 more minutes to New Canaan CT and parked for the night in the train station right across the street from the Glass House visitor center.