Saturday, July 26, 2008

Invasion of the ants

Last night we parked under a big tree, which at the time seemed like a good idea so that we would have shade in the morning. Well, this was one good idea that turned into a bad idea. We woke up to an ant invasion: hundreds of black ants all over the bathroom and kitchen. They were everywhere. After spraying them, Bernie looked around and found that they had come from the tree we parked under because some of the tree branches were touching the roof. So the ants marched their way right in all night. We have been trying to get rid of them all day, and the ants are winning … grrrrr!!! On the other hand, we were in the shade and woke to a beautiful day.

We headed out and drove through Beaufort again. As we turned the corner of the main street we saw the cutest little red wagon which was a library on wheels, it was full of books for sale by Friends of the Library. We decided to stop and check it out. All hardbounds were only $1.00 and all paperbacks were fifty cents. We walked away with a bunch of books for a grand total of $6.00.

We recently saw the movie “The Jane Austen Book Club” and think it might be fun to read all of her books and we were lucky to find a couple today.

We then drove about an hour to Cedar Island to catch the first ferry to the Outer Banks NC. Once we got there we had to wait about 45 minutes so we checked out the gift shop, the restroom, and the beach. The beach was really nice, the water was shallow, there were no waves, and the water was crystal clear. Bernie wished we had time to swim but the ferry was ready and we were off to the island of Ocracoke.

The ferry ride cost $30 and it was almost two and a half hours, which we didn't really notice because we both took a nap and woke up just before docking.

Once on the island it was one cute store after another and lots of restaurants. We found parking (not an easy thing to do on this narrow island). As we were going into a store across the road from where we parked a guy approached us and said we had to move our rv. He said we couldn't park there unless we were going to the stores there. We said we were going but we just wanted to see this one store first. He was unrelenting. However, this store was closed so we just went back to where we parked, and did some window shopping.

Back in Bella and down the street a bit we saw a small shopping village. We stopped in there and looked around, mostly in windows because most of them were already closed. But we were able to check out the wine store … always a good thing.

We then followed route 12 to the next ferry. Unfortunately there was a long line and the attendant said we’d probably would not get on the next ferry which was the 9 pm, that we would have to wait another hour for the 10 pm ferry. So we had dinner, we read up on the islands of the Outer Banks, and took a walk on the beach.

Before we knew it the ferry was here and it was time to go. This ferry was free and it took about 40 minutes to go from Ocracoke to Hatteras. When we got off the ferry, we found the first beach access and parked for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment